Monday, June 27, 2005

Is that a Tonton?

As luck would have it, if passing a kidney stone can be considered lucky, I was able to enjoy the original StarWars triology late last week, while heavily medicated, which tends to increase the enjoyment factor of media for me. Not the 'originals' mind you, but the remasters and 'bonus materials'("Empire of Dreams" documentary and 3 vignettes) of the remaster box set.

Vader is a dog on a leash in 'A New Hope.'(not that the dialogue hints at this or anything) Not that he struck me as the most independent of villains, but he's Governor (in a military uniform - what a nice former Republican) Tarkin's bitch, much more than my memory once served. Luke is a whiny bitch.

Empire is, Empire. Some of the dialogue is a little too dumbed-down ("This goes there, and that goes there." Come on Han, I know you're light on the academics being a pirate, but that is plain weak.) However, this is Vader at his best: humaness, even in its basest, selfish form, is being run out of town by the machine directive that almost consumes him.

Revenge of the Jedi (as it was almost released as) is the first of the triology my parents took me to(not very pop culture minded folk), and is pretty freakin' cool. Except for Luke's repeated batting of Vader's right arm, as he poses, er, falls on the skywalk's railing. Very unjedi-like, if you asked me.

But a question that I feel has been left unanswered in the six films is what the fuck is Yoda? Is he a unique being? A member of a species? A badly deformed freak? For someone that instructed jedi for 800 years, you'd think more would be known about him. her?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home