Monday, October 10, 2005














Youth Served? I sure hope so. These two were the only bright spots for the Leafs. Steen's pass intercept and brilliantly executed look-off/quick wrister was a surprise. I didn't know he had such good offensive instincts. Stajan's one-timed slapper in the slot from Lindros' beauty backhand feed was so fast, I thought it was Lindros shooting. That was the happiest error I've made in a while.

And now Wellwood will be centering these two for a month or so, possibly? Wellwood seems a pound light, an inch short, and overall in over his head, but if he can produce at a decent ratio over what he gives away, I say let him dangle and charge the net. Against the Habs, he had a great give and go from the corner out to the goal mouth, only to come up short on the falling wrister that needed to be a riser. But a step in the right direction. With the impeccable two-way play of his linemates, he should be fine.

The rest of team, that's another story. Pono, Antropov and Lindros can handle the first line duties. Kaberle is a puck hog. I love it. Not exactly, but his patience with the puck is markedly improved. I wish I'd seen him blossom last year. McCabe seems to have adjusted, but still gets beat wide too often for my liking. Belfour has been solid, though I thought I saw him look stunned for a moment on Saturday. Maybe it was the lighting.

But after that, I get a little...concerned. Allison looks not only like he has lost a step, but both feet. Granted his size and reach make him incredibly strong on the puck, but when you are moving at 2 mph, you aren't really making the defence sweat, now are you? Maybe he'll get some jump back as the season progresses. Maybe. Belak and Berg. Don't even get me started. Belak can hit, skate, fight, but I wouldn't trust him to read an icing call. Berg, well he should be playing with Klee. He needs the help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home